From Zero to HOPE in 25 Quotes
Introduction by Bob Aronson
When you are placed on the organ transplant list it is because you have been diagnosed with an end-stage disease and the only way to save your life is with an organ transplant. Many look at the number of people on the list and the organ shortage and give up. I did just that. I thought I was too old and not sick enough and had given up hope. I now know how foolish that was because despite all the odds against me, despite waiting for 12 years to get on the transplant list, despite being 68 years old at the time — I got a new heart after only 13 days on the list. I was the right person in the right place at the right time with the right match.
There’s always hope – always. Giving up hope is to die while still among the living. Hope is powerful and hope is always your partner. Don’t give up on her because she is always working for you.
1. “Listen to the mustn’ts, child. Listen to the don’ts. Listen to the shouldn’ts, the impossibles, the won’ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me… Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” –Sihel Silverstein
2. “I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.”–Robert Fulghum
3. “Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.” –Emily Dickinson
4. “I like the night. Without the dark, we’d never see the stars.” –Stephanie Meyer, Twilight
6. “I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you’re going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.” –C. JoyBell C.
7. The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination.” –Marion Zimmer Bradley
8. “You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep Spring from coming.” –Pablo Neruda
9. Until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words,–‘Wait and hope’. — Alexandre Dumas
10.There are no hopeless situations; there are only men who have grown hopeless about them. — Clare Booth Luce
11.Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; but remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for. – Epicurious
12.Hope never abandons you, you abandon it.” -George Weinberg
13.“Hope itself is a species of happiness, and, perhaps, the chief happiness which this world affords; but, like all other pleasures immoderately enjoyed, the excesses of hope must be expiated by pain.” -Samuel Johnson
14. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes shine to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait. The grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. — Henry Ford
15.When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. –Harriet Beecher Stowe
16.“If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call “failure” is not the falling down, but the staying down.” –Mary Pickford
17.“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” –Thomas Edison
18.“Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway.” –Mary Kay Ash
19.“To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” –G.K. Chesterson
20.Hope is tenacious. It goes on living and working when science has dealt it what should be its deathblow. PauL laurence Dunbar
21.Expectancy speeds progress. Therefore, live in a continual state of expectancy. No matter how much good you are experiencing today, expect greater good tomorrow. Expect to meet new friends. Expect to meet new and wonderful experiences. Try this magic of expectancy and you will soon discover a dramatic side to your work which gives full vent to constructive feeling. – Ernest Holmes
22.Hope is sweet-minded and sweet-eyed. It draws pictures; it weaves fancies; it fills the future with delight.—Henry Ward Beecher
23.A man begins to die when he ceases to expect anything from Tomorrow.—Abraham Miller
24.There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow – Orison Swett Marden
Now retired and living in Jacksonville, Florida with his wife Robin he spends his time advocating for patients with end stage diseases and for organ recipients. He is also active in helping his wife with her art business at art festivals and on her Rockin Robin Prints site on Etsy.
Bob is a former journalist, Governor’s Communication Director and international communications consultant.